Thursday 21 October 2010

Very limited edition gift tags

Well, I have finally finished the extra five teddy bear gift tags...

... after 13 hours hard sewing!

I was going to price them at £4 - which means I'm working at £1.54 per hour (starvation looms!).

As it is, I have defiantly priced them at £5, bringing me a grand total of £1.92 per hour.

Will anyone pay £5 for a gift tag? Well that is the $3.01 question. I guess you have to look at it as being a little more than a gift tag. It's a gift - albeit an extremely small gift to someone you don't know very well.

I guess, as ever, I'll just have to see how it goes. I won't be making any more of these, unless I can figure out a way of speeding up the process. The arms and legs are made from two pieces of wool felt stitched together, just for stability. I did all that by hand - just because I can't stitch tiny things on the sewing machine. Certainly, if I could do it by machine, it would cut the time it took to make them considerably.

I'm also wondering whether I could make the arms and legs in fimo clay though. It would be quicker - but then more expensive. Hmmm.

Anyway, the up side is that these - along with the mistletoe tags - will start making the craft unit looking Christmassy. It's too early for the full Xmas tree-plastic Santa-taxidermy reindeer thing yet, but I can ease my customers into thinking about buying bears for Christmas.

No comments: