Monday, 9 February 2015


Good morning!  I have a new panda!  Daniel was meant to be a sort of medium-sized panda - halfway between the large pandas I used to make and the little cashmere pandas.  Unfortunately, I misplaced the pattern for the large pandas some time ago, so I wasn't able to gauge the halfway point very accurately.  In other words, I think I just made another large panda.

It's a long time since I bought any of this type of mohair and I got a bit of a shock when I found out how expensive it was(!)  But I am about to be off to the biggest bear fair in the country, where everyone else's expenses will be comparable and customers know what they are paying for, so hopefully Daniel will find a good home.

At any rate, I have written out the expenses at the end of this post, so you can see where the money goes - if you're interested.  I double the cost of materials to cover the time he takes to make, and I upped the total by £4 because I thought exactly £100 sounded a little too neat. 

I read an article a little while ago about pricing stuff you make.  It said that you should add all your expenses up - including a fair wage - and that gives you the wholesale price.  You then multiply it by something-something-something to get the retail price.  Unfortunately that makes wholesale completely impractical :-(.  (Someone did ask once.)

Anyway, I hope to be able to make a few more pandas before Hugglets.

No comments: