Rather boringly, all I ever wear is jeans and t.shirt. I'll save the jeans for a bit further down the line but, in the meantime, I really wanted to have a go at making t.shirts. It won't save me any money, as I've discovered - if anything, I'm spending more on fabric than I ever did on clothes - but maybe I stand a better chance of ending up with a t.shirt I like.
I like raglan t.shirts. This one is from Blank Slate Patterns, and I bought it as a PDF. It has a rise and fall hemline, three possible sleeve-lengths, and you can make it as a t.shirt or as a dress. It was really easy to buy and download - and obviously very quick - and the pattern is very simple to put together. It was the first time I'd used stretchy fabric, and it turned out really well.
This is my first attempt, in pale pink jersey fabric. I added a couple of inches to the length, because I always find tops too short on me.
The neckline was lower than I expected though, so I tried again with some snotty coloured fabric that we had been going to throw out. It wasn't stretchy, but I bound the neck and sleeves with remnants from the first t.shirt, and actually it was perfectly easy to get on. (Not great fabric for a t.shirt though; kinda sweaty.) The neckline worked out at a better height. Apologies for the unironed look...
Finally, since the shape was so nice, I wondered if I could make a top for work. We visited Franklins on the first day it re-opened after the lockdown, and I found a black linen-lycra mix fabric. It's not as easy to work with as the jersey - my seams came out a bit wavy - but it still turned out quite well. I made this one with longer sleeves, as per the pattern variations.
There's still something not quite right about the way I've done the neckline. It doesn't sit very flat on the shoulders and, you can see in the picture below, the fabric tents out in a point behind the shoulder. I'll have to look at it again and see if I can fix that.