Monday 28 February 2011

Accident

We have been having a bad time of things lately, in our household. Last Friday, my mother was driving home, having been out to pick up my sister and her kids for the half-term break, when she got cut-up by another car on the dual carriageway. She swerved violently to avoid it, and her car turned over. My Granny, who was sitting in the passenger seat, was air-lifted to hospital and died five days later.

It has all been quite traumatic, and we shall miss her terribly.

In the meantime, no new bears have been made, and the bears at the Art & Craft Centre have remained un-tittivated and sadly neglected, although everyone at the Centre has been really lovely and helpful.

But, life goes on, and I am itching to get back to work again. I missed my two-bears-a-week target entirely last week (the week of Monday 21st) - I made no bears at all - but I am hoping to reach it this week.

I have been thinking forwards to Mother's Day. As with Valentine's Day, I would like to make some little bears specifically for people to buy as Mother's Day gifts. I have some lovely floral cotton, which I would like to use. String of pearls, little hat...I have to say, it doesn't sound anything like my mother, but my Granny would have liked them perhaps.

I do have difficulty making bears in cotton though: it wrinkles along the seams, and frays terribly. I am going to give it a go though. I have lined all the pieces, and fray-checked the edges, and I will sew the pieces by machine to make them as strong as possible.

Hopefully I will be back with a successful bear soon!

No comments: