Monday 7 April 2014

Stuffed courgettes

Good morning!  Yesterday, I decided to have a go at making stuffed courgettes from a recipe on the Real Italian Foodies website.  It was really disappointing - and more so since it had looked so healthy and colourful in the preparation.  It reminded me of a pizza with a really soft, insubstantial base.  I suppose I should have guessed that from the photo of the finished dish, but I was swayed by the lovely step-by-step pictures of how to make it.

There were two other factors working against this.  I'm not a big fan of cooked tomato (unless its mashed to a textureless pulp), and this recipe was designed for much bigger courgettes than I was using.  I halved the quantity of the filling, but it was still a balancing act to get it all in.  When it came out of the oven, the cheese had melted everywhere.  

Maybe I should have just eaten it without cooking it - that's when it looked the most appealing.

I will have a look for another recipe.  Less cheese and no tomato would have been good.  I wonder though if these could be done in the same way as the stuffed butternut squash we sometimes make - filled with goats cheese and roasted veg.  But then why bother trying to pile all that into something as small as a courgette - why not just have stuffed squash?  Hmmm.  I will have a look for another recipe and see what alternative fillings are suggested.


Oh, and the outcome of yesterday's tidying…. ta da!



2 comments:

Naomi said...

Very good!
She'll want it all back you know...

Ruth said...

It's alright - it turned out it was mostly my junk anyway!