Friday 21 November 2014

Doris

So this is Doris, or 'hedgehog mark 3', as I like to call her.  I have made a few changes.  The muzzle is slightly longer; the legs are slightly shorter; I have added some black paint to her face; and I haven't felted the legs.

I'm not too sure about the legs.  They are thread-wrapped - which is what I did with the other two hogs, except that there, it was only a sort of intermediate process of covering the wire and providing something to felt onto.  Since the felting was making their legs look quite, shall we say 'sturdy'(!), I thought I ought to try missing out the final felting stage.  This meant that the thread-wrapping had to be glued though.  I added enough wool thread until the legs looked the right shape, then sprayed them with adhesive glue (a mistake, I think - it went absolutely everywhere), then a thin layer of thread over the top.  It feels fairly firm, so I'm hoping it will stay put.

I'm really happy with Doris; I do think she looks quite realistic.  However, here is still something not quite right about the proportions.  I think hedgehogs have longer muzzles still, but perhaps slightly deeper as well?  Her head looks slightly too small in relation to her body.  Next time I'll try to rectify this.







No comments: