Tuesday 13 April 2021

Builders in

Yesterday I moved into the house properly.  I say 'properly', but it's a bit like camping out at the moment.  I have both the builders and the plumber here, so everything's a bit disorderly!  I'm back to work tomorrow (fingers crossed) and and it might be a relief to get out the way; I feel like I'm right under everyone's feet.  The floor's all been taken up in the front room - some of the joists needed replacing, and the new gas and water pipes are going down - and the back room is full of the tools and pipes and stuff.  The front path has been [half] taken up - again for the pipe work.  It's all a bit hair raising.

This is the front room at the moment...

And this is the back...


On the plus side, when everyone leaves between four and five o'clock, the house is blissfully quiet and the sun streams in the dining room window; it's glorious.  (Note to self: clean that window.)


And, the new Ikea sink unit is in and it looks really lovely.  It's all plumbed in, but there's something weird about the old plumbing, so the pressure of the hot water in the kitchen is next to nothing.  This will be remedied when the gas is fitted, but that won't be till the end of June(!)  So I will be filling the washing-up bowl in the bathroom until then.

(Note to self: clean that window too.)

But despite everything, the place is beginning to feel a bit more like home.  The books and the sofa are in...

And the bed...


Before I completed on the house, I bought a pair of beautiful, floral Laura Ashley curtains on Ebay - second-hand - thinking it would be good to be prepared, and have them there ready to hang immediately on moving in.  We hung them a few days ago...


It did make me laugh!  I'll have to find them a new home.  In the meantime - when I can be bothered to fight my way into the front room at all - I've had to use a bit of tarpaulin to cover the window.  Not pretty; but temporary; it'll get there in the end.

No comments: