Hello - I finished my meerkat this morning! I decided to try something new with the feet. It didn't look very promising at first, but it has creases sewn across the middle, and when it's stuffed...
... I think it actually looks quite effective.
I also tried putting claws in the front paws. The middle two looked good, but the outer claws stuck out sideways! Then, after stuffing the arms and sewing them on, I managed to break one so I had to unpick the whole thing, remove the claws, then stuff and sew the arms back on again. I didn't risk a second attempt at the claws. They obviously were not strong enough but also - the way she holds her hands - they were barely visible anyway.
Then there was the problem of the whiskers. I tried them first on my poor prototype, with fishing line, but they're far too substantial.
Reading up on it, the best thing to use is apparently horse hair. I posted about it on my Facebook page, and a lovely person agreed to send me some!
This is Amelia with her whisker (and eyebrow) placements marked out...
And this is her finished! I absolutely love the whiskers - they definitely maketh the meerkat, so to speak!
I did just happen to have a pair of meerkat spectacles handy, and she does remind me of that meerkat in the Compare the Market advert, so I took one photo of her disguised as Sergei :-)