Just at the point where I ought to be working hard, making things for up-and-coming shows, I'm struggling to concentrate on anything! I have ordered myself a copy of The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp, recommended by Ann Wood, to see if I can find a more productive way of working. It's a difficult one. I have experimented before with ideas to speed up the bear-making process, but found that working fast - whilst it might mean being 'more productive' in a literal sense - completely sapped me of any creative spirit, which ultimately was bad for business. Perhaps instead, I should be focusing on becoming more efficient at sorting through ideas - discarding the rubbish and putting the good ones into practice.
Anyway, I have managed to turn something out: this little wren. You can see the progression of the pattern in the first picture (the one on the left fell into a cup of coffee, hence the unusual markings). I am using scraps of mohair, with a little gingham cotton to create the wing stripes, and the final version has turned out rather hairier than I'd hoped!
The feet are made from florists wire, bent into a rough paperclip formation. Any more elaborate shape seems too bulky for such a tiny bird. They can be unbent - which does worry me slightly - but I can't see a way around it, without adding bulk. I figure that if I sell them at shows, I can supply boxes to ensure people get them home safely. And since they are made from scraps, I won't be charging much for them.
Hopefully, I can get some more of these made this week.