Sunday 2 January 2011

Happy New Year!

I have been reading other people's New Year blog posts - talking about what they've done over the year. They put me to shame - particularly the ones which enumerate the items they've made! Some of these people seem to have made hundreds of things!

I once read a blurb about bear-maker extraordinaire, Gregory Gyllenship, which said that he didn't make many - only about 100 a year.

A hundred bears a year?! That's more than two bears a week!

I have been back over my blog (which only started at the end of March 2010), and my record is terrible. I've made (*whispers*)... thirty-something bears. About three a month?

I don't know how Gregory Gyllenship manages it, since most of his bears are apparently one-of-a-kind, but I think that some crafters achieve such a high output because they have a number of well established designs. Their items are still unique, since each one is decorated individually, but they don't have to sit down and ponder over the design each time.

So, my resolution (aspiration?) for 2011 is to approach the 100-bears mark - or at least, creatures of one kind or another. And hopefully I will be able to do this by coming up with some designs which I can replicate in different ways.

I would also like to put more effort into the shop displays, and to do more drawing in 2011.

Anyway (glass of wine in hand), here's to a very happy, productive, successful 2011 - I hope it's a good one for you!

No comments: