Sunday 27 November 2011

Finally... bears!

I'm much relieved to finally have a bear or two to show you.  These are two little bears called Polly (left) and Pippa, made for the gallery in Coggeshall.  They are the same design as Loulou, who also found a home there a week or two ago.  Their little dresses and hats are made from a felted jumper, although unfortunately when my mother came to make them, she found that the sweater wasn't as felted as she'd thought, so everything had to be edged.












They do look quite Christmassy too. I have a long list of things I'm supposed to be making for Christmas, and I haven't really gotton round to any of them. Christmas at the Art & Craft Centre isn't usually a great time for BigFeetBears: the manufactured toys are doing reasonably well, but the one-of-a-kind, mohair bears are looking rather miserable. Their time usually comes in January/February - I guess when people have finished buying Christmas gifts for other people, they might buy something for themselves. The trouble is, I have been withdrawing bears from the unit, and I haven't taken any more in, what with one thing and another, so I have very little for the post-Christmas rush! (Well, I say 'rush'....)

I actually changed my mind about taking apart some of the bears (see this post). I have taken Izzy apart, but Bingley is still sitting on the table, actually looking very handsome. I would like to change his paws, and maybe his nose (it is black against dark brown mohair and doesn't show up well), but I think I might keep him substantially as he is. He is very difficult to photograph, being so dark a colour, and I have trouble displaying him in the unit, for the same reason - I think he needs some 'context': a few other dark brown bears, maybe a more natural wood-finish background, rather than stark white shelves.

I didn't have the heart to take Rowan apart either - he is a lovely bear. So I have donated him to the raffle being held at the Art & Craft Centre for St Helena's Hospice.  Hopefully, he will find a good home.

1 comment:

Polly said...

I'm so pleasaed Rown got a last minute reprieve. He is a lovely bear and I'm sure will make lots of money for the Hospice.