Thursday 16 September 2010

Re-sized camiknicker

I've just finished my second attempt at the camiknicker. There were various things I wanted to change on the original pattern. First of all, the size - I wanted one that would fit me, so even if it turned out rubbish, it wouldn't be a complete waste of time.

Secondly, I wasn't keen on the snappers on the gusset. Partly, this is because I was aware they ought to be buttons, and I'm finding buttonholes very difficult. But also, it's quite a loose-fitting gusset anyway - somehow, adding anything to it seems a little OTT. Anyway, I thought I'd try a zipper down the back. I did that, tried it on, and realised that actually, I didn't need to unzip the zipper to get it on. So I took the zipper out, and added a big dart to the centre of the rear neckline to try to take up some of the loose material.

It works alright, but now it takes a bit of tugging to get on. And its just reminded me actually of the advantage of fastenings to the gusset. Ah well, so long as I don't leave it till the last minute...

Anyway, view from the front...


View from the back...

Close-up of the fabric (cats and fruit and flowers)...

And a rubbish picture of a size 38 camiknicker pinned onto a size 32 mannequin...

I'm not really happy with the fit of the bodice. That is, it does fit, but not very well. I thought on my last attempt that pattern pieces were a bit deep. I didn't adjust the depth for this version - I thought that, since this is a bigger size, the depth-thing would work on this one. They are still too deep though - and you need short straps that hoik the neckline up under your chin if you want the empire line in the right place.

So, the next attempt will have buttons on the gusset again, and I will make the bodice pieces a bit more shallow. I'm not going to do it right away though. I've come to the conclusion that this has to be a part time thing - rather than spending all day working at it.

I'm going to go back to the bears for a while. There is a small craft fair occurring in our village around November sometime - a Christmas fair. I am hoping to be able to have a stall there, although I haven't applied for it yet. I have decided to try mini bears, since I stand a better chance of actually selling them. It does depend on whether I can make enough of them without tearing all my hair out though. Ususally one is enough to do it.

So, my next list is mini bears. Probably I'm being wildly optimistic again, but I'm hoping to make about 20 - including some with Christmas hats, and several polar bears.

I'll be back to show the results!

No comments: