Friday 4 November 2011

Cassandra


I know I said I'd finished with the gallery bears, but I got everything cleared up (partially cleared up), and then sat down to relax for a bit, and I could not stop thinking about the one more mammoth I had time to make before I had to deliver the bears.

So here she is - rather tackily photographed standing on a bag for life, in the garden.  I'm afraid it rained all morning so we had to rush out between showers.






She is a new colour - a lovely caramel shade.  I'm never sure about making mammoths out of mohair, because I can't really charge enough for them to cover the costs of the fabric.  This particular fabric though - and the red/brown that I've used for previous mammoths - is a silk-mohair mix.  I remember being really excited when I first found this stuff at a teddy bear fair.  Having worked with it a few times, there is something I don't quite like about it though - not for bears, at least.  Strangely, it seems to work for mammoths.  I don't know what it is about it - I can't explain it - there's just something different about the feel of it.

Anyway, I'm glad I've found something that that fabric works with.

We delivered the bears today to the lovely people at the Thirteen Brushes Art Gallery in Coggeshall.  The gallery is in the perfect spot and Coggeshall is very pretty.  It reminds me of Dedham a little bit - except that the street layout is more extensive.  I don't think the Gallery's website is up and running yet, but the address of the prospective website will be http://www.thirteenbrushes.com/.  The gallery opens next Saturday, on 12th November. 

No comments: